Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lesson Reflection 7/16/2012


My reading lesson, that was taught on July 16th, 2012, was about using punctuation when reading aloud. In the beginning of the lesson I put examples of on the board of four basic types of punctuation. I read the examples aloud and asked the students if I had read the sentence correctly based on the punctuation at the end of the sentence. We discussed what each piece of punctuation told what to do or how to read the sentence. I then gave each student the short story, The Fox Show. I had each student read aloud part of a passage from that story. Once we had read the story all the way through together in the group, I then had the students come to myself or Miss Self and read part of the story to us. This was part of an assessment to determine if the students were meeting the fluency goals that had been set for some of them. After having one-on-one time with each student we then as group reviewed the punctuation one more time to touch on the concepts as we were wrapping up the lesson.
                I enjoyed using the sentences at the beginning of the lesson. I enjoyed being able to model for them how to use some of the punctuation as well as to allow them to give their input on the pieces of punctuation and what each one had meant when reading. I also enjoyed being able to hear them read aloud to me in the group setting as well as one-on-one. It gave me a great opportunity to see where the students were in their ability to read aloud. If I were to teach the lesson again I would have numbered the paragraphs beforehand making it easier for the children to follow along as well as giving them the same amount of material to read. I would have also had the children write some sentences of their own after we had read my sentences aloud. I would allow them to pick one of the punctuations from the board, write their own sentence and then read it aloud. This would tie in writing to the lesson as well, while also giving them the opportunity to read aloud more in class.

5 comments:

  1. It was a great lesson! You have some great ideas for teaching. I like the idea about adding in writing to the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having the students apply the skills you taught during the punctuation lesson would be a great follow-up! Allowing the students to provide their own examples develops a student's personal ownership of their learning. I'm glad someone else also really enjoys one-on-one time - I feel like I can never do enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the way you modeled how to read the sentences with different punctuation. The students seemed to enjoy it. Adding in the writing component would be a great way to reinforce this skill. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Modeling is a great strategy to use with students of all ability levels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a solid lesson. It seems like you are doing a great job with all of your student!

    ReplyDelete